We're so excited to start the final year of our project to see what amazing things will happen in our community. There are so many smart and innovative leaders in our community I'm always surprised by the new ways they can create social change. You'll see from the list below I met with lots of them, and had fun each and every time.
Highlights from 2012:
# Unique individual (nonprofits)
# Social entrepreneurs (for-profit & undefined)
# Nonprofit leaders (combined NPO & charities)
Total Coaching Hours
Number of people who have benefitted from your grant
# Workshop Participants
# Hours of Workshops
# Hours involved
# Event Participants
# New programs due to grant (SE PD, SEE)
# Volunteer hours
# New volunteers over previous year
# Hours working with provincial partners
# Advisors we met with
As you can see, London is really doing a lot of work in the social enterprise world. In fact, we get calls from all over the province to ask us how we do what we do. We spoke in several other cities and shared the concepts of our coaching model broadly. It is exciting to see all the hard work (and many coffees) go to good use.
Coming in 2013:
Social Enterprise Exchange:
Mark your calendars and join us for a morning once a month where we can get together and dream up great ideas, support existing ideas and just be with others who think the same way. If you are a social entrepreneur or are interesting in social enterprise...please come:
- Jan 14, 2013
- Feb 28, 2013
- Mar 28, 2013
- Apr 25, 2013
- May 23, 2013
- Jun 27, 2013
from 7:30am - 9am in the boardroom at WOTCH Community Health Services, 534 Queens Ave London, ON N6B 1Y6.
World Famous (ok, maybe Locally famous) Social Enterprise Tour
See what is really happening in our city, first hand! The last one was so amazing that we had to do it again! Register early, it fills up fast.
Click here for more information.
Social Purpose Business
There is a rise of Social Entrepreneurs in our mix. These are people who are dying to start a business that not only makes money but solves a social issue. We have many in London and if recent meetings and any indication, we will have many more.
A few examples in London:
- On the Move Organics
- Western Fair Farmer's Market
Here is a link to some information about social purpose business and why it's a fabulous business model.
Grants/Social Finance Opportunities:
- Micro-lending for Women in Ontario
- London Community Foundation Vitality Grant, announcing Jan 21/13
- United Way Social Enterprise Start Up grants - for charities who are doing a new start up in line with one of the three United Way impact areas, contact me for more information.
- OSER Information: Ontario Social Economy Roundtable - featuring our own Lina Bowden (volunteer with Pillar, United Way and London Community Foundation)
Articles for you to read:
- Community Bonds and Social Enterprise: Where no one loses.
- Social Entrepreneurship - Case study of "Hot Bread Kitchen" - In Search of a Hybrid Ideal
- Complete Capital: We need integrated solutions, not just investment capital, to address social problems.