**If you notice anything that might be missing from this list, please contact me and I'd be happy to add it. Thanks.
What is Social Enterprise:
- The State of Social Enterprise in Canada - February 2011 (Susan Manwaring & Andrew Valentine)
- Social Enterprise is a VERB (David LePage)
- Innovations and Social Enterprise (Bridge & Corriveau)
- A New Infrastructure Model for Charities - Tides
- ENP Podcasts
- ENP How To Presentations
- enp's collection of Social Enterprise Videos
- enp's collection of Social Enterprise Stories and Snapshots
- Social Enterprise Slideshow featuring over 100 different social enterprises from around BC
Organizational Readiness & Feasibility:
- REDF Feasibility and Business Planning Guide
- Business Planning Template for Social Enterprises
- Pre-Feasibility Testing Tool
- What Should Your Feasibility Study Include
- Assessing Initial Potential Scorecard (p. 53, Cdn SE Guide)
- Building Community Wealth: A Resource for Social Enterprise Development
- Introduction to Social Enterprise: A Resource Package
- Overview of Enterprise Development Process (Opportunity Identification)
- Idea Generation Article by David LePage (SEE Change Magazine)
- Social Enterprise Feasibility Studies Article by David LePage (SEE Change Magazine)
- Managementhelp.org (Social Enterprise Library)
- Social Enterprise's Analytical Model
- Exploring the Climate for Earned Income Development
- Self Assessment Questionnaire (Organizational Readiness - Canadian SE Guide)
- MaRS - Entrepreneur's Toolkit - MaRS is where science, technology and social entrepreneurs get the help they need. Where all kinds of people meet to spark new ideas. And where a global reputation for innovation is being earned, one success story at a time.
- The Business Plan and Executive Summary (MaRS Workbooks)
- Tips on Hiring a Social Enterprise Consultant
- REDF Business Planning Guide
- Business Planning for Enduring Social Impact
- enp's Ask an Expert FAQ's (Frequently asked Business, Legal and HR questions)
- Business Plan Article by David LePage (SEE Change Magazine)
- Managementhelp.org (Social Enterprise Library)
Creative Enterprise Planning Sites:
- Phinklife.org - Opens the world of human potential by engaging with initiatives and projects that unleash passion
- SoJo - Turn your ideas into action
- City of London - Business Licences and Permits - Whether you're looking to start a new business or renew existing permits and licences, use this easy online process to find everything you need.
- Social Capital Partners - SCP believes that market forces can be utilized more effectively to solve structural social challenges in Canada. In support of this belief, SCP facilitates growth financing and provides advisory services to businesses that integrate a community hiring model into their HR strategy to expand career opportunities for motivated individuals outside the economic mainstream.
- The Start-up Toolkit - Based on "Business Model Generation" - This site uses tools & frameworks to help you think about start-ups in new & creative ways.
- Creating a nonprofit or a charity
Business Sector Relationships:
- Corporate Partnerships for Non-profits; a Match Made in Heaven? (Frederick G. Thompson)
- Social Enterprise Access to Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Services (Final Report, March 2011)
- Canadian Charities Legal Checklist (Mark Blumberg)
- Legislative Innovations (MaRS)
Renovating the House that Law Built (Manfro & Brouard)
Social enterprise and Canadian charities - are recent changes to DQ + Charitable Gifts Act enough (Mark Blumberg)
- Pro Bono Law Ontario - Pro Bono Law Ontario (PBLO) is a charitable organization that promotes access to justice in Ontario by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono (free) legal services to persons of limited means.
- Not-for-Profits Making Profits (Webinar Recording)
- Social Enterprise: Are There Really Legislative or Regulatory Barriers?
- Choosing a Legal Structure for your Social Enterprise
- enp's Ask the Legal Expert FAQ's
- CRA Statement on Charities and Related Businesses
- MaRS Legal Resources
- Enterprising Nonprofits(enp) LegalResources
- CRA Statement on charities and relatedbusiness
- Social Enterprise Council of Canada’sRegulatory Framework
- Kiva - global micro financing
- CSI Catalyst
- Kickstarter - United States
- Indegogo - Canada
- Ideaforge - London, ON
- GoFundMe - USD, CAD, GBP, EUR, AUD
- Razoo - more of a fundraising platform for social causes
- Crowdrise - raises money for charity
- PledgeMusic - for the music industry
- Sellaband - for the music industry
- Appbackr - for mobile apps
- Quirky - helps designers fund their inventions
- Pozible - Australian
- Cofundos - funds open source software products
- Socialfinance.ca - Investing for Impact - Our mission is to catalyze and sustain a robust social finance marketplace in Canada.
- Social Venture Partners (Toronto) - The vision of SVP Toronto is to make a positive change in the lives of people in our community. We will accomplish this vision by creating networks of inspired philanthropists who engage with nonprofits in long-term partnerships.
- Policy Implications of Cultural Shift (Tim Curtis)
- Simple Measures for Social Enterprise - pp 105-118 (Brian Trelstad)
- IRIS: Impact Reporting & Investment Standards - IRIS was developed to provide a common reporting language for impact-related terms and metrics. By standardizing the way organizations communicate and report their social and environmental performance, IRIS aims to increase the value of non-financial data by enabling performance comparisons and bench marking, while also streamlining and simplifying reporting requirements for companies and their investors.
- TRASI: Tools and Resources for Assessing Social Impact - To strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world.
- Demonstrating Value Workbook
- Other Demonstrating Value Articles, Tools and Resources
- Assessing Social Impact in Double Bottom Line Ventures
- Is It Working? Social Enterprise Performance Measurement
- Demonstrating Value Information Webinar
- Project Wildfire - Online Incubator (Toronto) - Project Wildfire is a youth business incubator to help spark and support business ideas that will support communities and individuals across Toronto.
Supports: Outside of London:
- SEED: Social Enterprise for Economic Development (Hamilton) - SEED is a collaboration of community partners in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada seeking to promote social enterprise and micro-credit as innovative approaches to job creation and community economic development. SEED works with individuals, enterprises, organizations and commercial business, to make social enterprise take root and flourish in our community.
- Ottawa Social Enterprise Examples
- SiG: Social Innovation Generation - Social Innovation Generation (SiG) seeks to address Canada’s social and ecological challenges by creating a culture of continuous social innovation. Our focus will be on social innovation that has the potential for impact, durability and scale.
- Social Spark - a non-profit that aims to create change by cultivating a socially conscious and entrepreneurial spirit in youth.